Cleaning the Air on Exceptions within the Smoke Free Air Act
1:00 pm – 1:40 pm
Iowa is marking the ten year anniversary of the Smoke Free Air Act and many operators still have questions about patio smoking, smoker events, and other exceptions to bridging food and beverage sales with smoking regulations. This panel brings together the Agency that “owns” the Smoke Free Air Act – the Iowa Department of Public Health—and the two organizations taking the most enforcement and implementation related questions—the Iowa ABD and the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals. The panel will help “clear the air” on smoking rules and regulations for hospitality operators and special event planners.
Mark Speltz, Department of Inspection and Appeals
Mark Speltz, Bureau Chief, Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Food and Consumer Safety Bureau.
- Mark received a BS from Iowa State University in 1994.
- He began his career in the hospitality industry managing food and beverage operations in Arizona, Maryland and Iowa.
- For the last 20 years, Mark has held several positions in the Food and Consumer Safety Bureau starting as an inspector and now Bureau Chief.
- As Bureau Chief, Mark oversees all bureau functions including licensing and inspection of food and lodging operations as well as social and charitable gambling.
- Throughout Mark’s tenure with the Food and Consumer Safety Bureau, he has worked to establish and maintain strong food safety partnerships with industry.
Garin Buttermore, Iowa Department of Public Health
Jessica Ekman, Iowa Alcohol & Beverages Division; Tobacco Program Coordinator